Saturday, September 09, 2006

Coyote at the Reins

Hello Possum Readers,

As the cold approaches I have to devote more time to gathering food and warmth, so I've decided to hand over this space to a few animal pals. This one's from a coyote I know. Stay open and warm-

The Perfect Rabbit

She came over, a rabbit, brown fur standing up on end- not out of fear, it added to her perfection. It was all perfect, partly because everything is perfect, and partly because my fangs seemed to grow blunt, like I wouldn’t need them anymore. Like my vibrations would spread around the world and no one would need their fangs anymore. An end to the true predator. It would flatten into legend, and the legend would travel from the front of the collective memory all the way to the back. Forgotten as much as anything is forgotten.

She was that kind of rabbit.

But I worried. I wanted this to be my perfection. What if anyone watching her stand two steps in front of the doorway- her rabbit eyes wide but not surprised, near-closed but not sleepy, removing her coat- what if anyone would feel so perfect. Perhaps. But perhaps their perfection takes a different form. Perhaps that is the true difference between souls: where they are at their apex. It’s obvious when you find it. I knew this was mine the moment I saw her at the door. My and only my exact perfection.